Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner
The Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner was first appointed after the Gibraltar Regulatory Authority Act was passed in 2000. Despite the creation of the Gambling Act 2005, the GRA continued to serve as the Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner. The 2005 act contains provisions for the regulation of remote gambling, including telephone and internet wagering operations. The Commissioner has the capability to grant licenses, as well as having other powers to ensure that licensees operate fairly and uphold Gibraltar’s reputation.
Casinos With a Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner License
- Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner
|888 Casino||87%||888 Casino Review||✖|
|William Hill Casino||80%||William Hill Casino Review||✖|
|Wink Slots||78%||Wink Slots Review||✖|
|Scores Casino||75%||Scores Casino Review||✖|
|Viva Fortunes||75%||Viva Fortunes Review||✖|
The Role Of The Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner
The primary role of the Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner concerns the licensing and regulation of gambling companies, but it undertakes other roles too. Here are the various functions of the GGC:
- Regular consultation with government
- Working with the Licensing Authority to issue and revoke licenses
- Investigating existing license holders and their practices to ensure they comply with the terms of the 2005 Gambling Act
- Maintaining the good reputation of Gibraltar
- Promoting responsible gambling
- Preventing gambling from becoming a source of crime
Before an applicant can earn a license, they must go through the Gambling Commissioner. Although the Licensing Authority actually processes the permits, the GGC acts as an adviser. This process ensures that applicants are suitable for a license.
GGC Casino Licences
In order for any wagering operator to obtain a remote casino gaming license through the Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner, they must meet strict criteria. These include:
- Following tight player protection controls, including prevention of underage players
- Prompt payment of taxes and fees
- Ring-fencing of player funds and provision of appropriate payment processing channels
- Prevention of money laundering and other crimes
- Player privacy and confidentiality protocols
- Implementation of a proper complaints process
Benefits To Gibraltar-Licensed Casinos
The main benefit to a casino of possessing a Gibraltar license is the balance between cost and reputation.
A license from Gibraltar is slightly easier and cheaper to obtain than one from the top-tier regulatory bodies like the UKGC or Malta, for instance. But it still carries a lot more weight than many other regulators, in terms of strict regulatory controls. Players know that a casino with a Gibraltar license is a safe place to play.
Benefits to Players
As Gibraltar is a territory of the UK, the GGC is heavily influenced by the UK Gambling Commission. As a result, the licensing terms are strict. The obvious benefit to players of tightly regulated casinos and wagering sites include:
- Protection of personal data and privacy
- Close monitoring of deposits and withdrawals
- Provision of responsible first-class gambling measures and other tools to protect the vulnerable
- Responsive and transparent channels for customer support and complaints
- Prevention of questionable marketing practices
What is the Gibraltar Betting and Gaming Association?
The Gibraltar Betting and Gaming Association (GBGA) is a collective of gambling industry operators. It is not the same as the Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner as it does not issue licenses or regulate gaming in Gibraltar. Rather, it is a trade association funded by the likes of William Hill, Bet365 and other operators, to represent these licensees.
Which online casinos have a Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner license?
Use the list of Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner casinos to see all online casinos that are regulated by Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner.