Swedish Gambling Authority
The Swedish Gambling Authority is charged with providing a safe gambling environment for Swedish players. Also called the Spelinspektionen, this regulator was officially set up in 2018 following the passage of the Swedish Gambling Act. A well-structured regulatory system has resulted in more operators turning their attention to Sweden. This page takes a deep look at this regulator, their status in the gambling landscape, roles and more.
Casinos With a Swedish Gambling Authority License
- Swedish Gambling Authority
The Role of the Swedish Gambling Authority
The Swedish Gambling Authority has a mandate of ensuring that every form of gaming in Sweden is fair and credible. It partners with other Swedish government agencies, operators, startups, concerned NGOs and stakeholders to provide a balanced gambling landscape. The regulatory body has the following core mandates:
- Creating a sound and transparent market for all gaming activities online and offline.
- To offer players the opportunity to engage in fair, unbiased gambling.
- Avert activities that could lead to problem gaming and curtail the social effects of such.
- To bring illegal gambling and lottery operations in Sweden to a bare minimum.
In achieving the above mandates, the Spelinspektionen has set out a comprehensive list of tasks. These guide its drive for the fairest gaming possible. As with the mandates, the tasks provide an overview of the governing principles of the Authority. They include:
- Controling and supervising gambling and lottery operations in Sweden.
- Issuing licences for games involving real money wagers, such as arcades, gaming machines, bingo halls, casinos and national lotteries.
- Keep the government abreast of trends and developments in the both Swedish and international gaming landscapes.
- Adopting strategic standards to always improve the Swedish gaming market.
- To facilitate adequate training on gambling to both operators and consumers.
Swedish Gambling Authority Casino Licences
The process of applying to the Swedish Gambling Authority for an operator licence usually requires a lot of documentation. After paying the prescribed fees, the application must be filed in Swedish only. The process mostly requires attaching other vital papers, such as the applicant company’s articles of association, existing licences and others.
If an applicant is based outside of the EEA, it must appoint a representative in Sweden. In considering an application, the SGA will assess:
- The company’s knowledge, experience and structure to handle and run an online or land-based casino.
- Whether the company has what it takes to run the casino operations in full compliance with Swedish laws and regulations guiding casinos.
- Whether other aspects make the company worthy and fit to run the business.
After filing the application, the Spelinspektionen will carry out background checks to ascertain the authenticity of the company and the information submitted.
Benefits of Swedish Gambling Authority Licensed Casinos
Even though the Spelinspektionen is relatively young, more than 90 gambling companies are actively using its licence. The Swedish casino market is growing massively, with lots of passionate gambling enthusiasts in the country. As a result, the regulator’s licence has become reputable among several operators in Europe.
Also, obtaining a Swedish Gambling Authority licence is cheaper than other reputable licences, such as UKGC and MGA. Furthermore, social responsibility requirements are a lot less demanding in Sweden when compared to other top regulators.
Benefits to Players
When applying for the Swedish Gambling Authority licence, a company must provide a declaration of its procedures for handling player data. This prerequisite condition establishes the regulator as a firm advocate for the rights of players to confidential data.
Before obtaining a licence, every casino’s gambling systems must be tested and certified by an independent testing agency. This also applies to the casino’s random number generator (RNG), which means you can play safely at a Swedish-regulated casino. Additionally, the regulator mandates casinos to provide responsible gambling and self-exclusion tools on their website to protect vulnerable players.
Swedish casinos also offer a host of best-in-class payment methods, including crypto coins and e-wallets. Hence, super-fast payouts are available at these casinos, with zero withholding of funds once you meet all requirements.
What is Spelinspektionen?
Spelinspektionen is the alternative name of the Swedish Gambling Authority, by which most Swedish-speaking players address it.
What licences do the Swedish Gambling Authority provide?
You can obtain a licence for commercial online gambling, such as sports betting or casino, or for non-profit causes. Licences are also available for land-based commercial wagering, ships in international waters or state-managed gambling.
Which online casinos have a Swedish Gambling Authority license?
Use the list of Swedish Gambling Authority casinos to see all online casinos that are regulated by Swedish Gambling Authority.