Table Games Casinos and Tutorial 2020
Online casino table games cover a lot of ground with a lot of different types of titles. However, they are often lumped together as “everything other than slots” when that isn’t really the case. Here we break down everything you would want to know about each of the most popular table game genres.
Casinos with Table Games
An Introduction to Table Games
If you think back to way before slots were invented, what was available in casinos and saloons? Table games were about it, so they obviously have a very serious history in the industry as a whole. In modern times, they’re often put on the back burner compared to slots for many players. However, that’s not the case for a sizable number, and in certain parts of the world, they’re still very popular.
In the following, we’re going to look at all of the major genres of table games. We’ll point out what the most popular titles are and what the general idea of each type of game is. Additionally, we’ll look at where to go to get started learning more about these titles.
If you’re interested in table games in general, you can read through this from top to bottom. However, if you’re looking for information on a particular type of game, then you can jump to that section instead.
How to Pick a Casino for Playing Table Games
Before we get into the actual titles, we want to point out a few things to look for when picking a casino for playing table games. This can be a lot different than looking for sites as a slots player or even as someone who enjoys both.
- Make sure that their bonuses and promotions are friendly for non-slot players in general. Specifically, you’d prefer as much promotional value as possible for the exact games that you enjoy.
- Look specifically for loyalty rewards programs that allow you to convert points into cash. These essentially function as percentage-based cashback programs for many casinos.
- Try to check out what their mobile interface looks like for table games before you play. Sometimes the graphics can be too crowded on certain platforms, which leads to a bad experience.
Outside of those points, the normal types of things apply. Only play with a site that has proper licensing from a reputable jurisdiction. Also, make sure that they have all of the varieties of table games that you’re looking for before getting started. This will make it easier to get everything you want in one place. Without this, you’ll have to jump around to different sites to play everything that you’re interested in.
With that out of the way, let’s jump into some actual details about the games.
Blackjack is generally considered to be the most popular card-based casino game in most parts of the world. The lone exception to this is certain Asian regions where Baccarat is more popular. It’s been around for centuries in some form, and it’s still popular today because of the low house edge, strategic gameplay and the romanticized notions of card counting that have been found in books, television shows and movies.
The key thing to realize about blackjack is that most of the games in the genre have very similar gameplay. What differentiates them is a slight difference in rule set for most titles.
With that said, we do want to note a few titles that stand out for being a bit atypical:
- Spanish 21 – This game is different because it only uses a 48-card deck. The “10” cards are removed, which changes up the correct strategies quite a bit.
- Blackjack Switch – Here you play two hands at the same time. However, you start with an option to switch the “back” card of the two hands. This is based on an old way of trying to cheat in live games.
- Pontoon – There are varying opinions on whether this is a blackjack game, strictly speaking. However, most players include it in the genre. There is no dealer up card, and the strategies are easier to learn than most other blackjack titles.
Blackjack offers a high level of strategy for players who are into that sort of thing. However, the rules are pretty easy to learn, so it’s not difficult to get started.
On the surface, Baccarat can look a lot like blackjack because of the way the cards are dealt. That’s a misconception, however, and the two really have little to nothing in common outside of both of them being based on hands that start with two cards.
The basic format of this game is trying to guess which hand will win between two pre-dealt hands that are put in the center of the table to compete against each other.
Multiple versions of Baccarat exist. The main game that most people call Baccarat is actually a variation of the game known as Punto Banco. Other versions of the game exist, however, including titles like EZ Baccarat that remove some of the awkwardness of certain betting options paying 0.95:1 instead of a flat 1:1.
No real strategy is involved in this game, and it’s mostly luck. This style of play really appeals to players who don’t have a lot of time to dedicate to learning strategies for casino games. With that said, it also has a lot of tracking of previous results involved to try to guess the outcomes of future hands. Some variations of this game do allow for card counting that can increase your payout rate as well.
The game of roulette is typically seen as the oldest casino game that does not use dice or cards. The idea is simple: to guess the outcome of spinning a wheel of numbers. With that said, there are complications to this along the lines of betting on groups of numbers and so on.
We have a few different variations of this game available as well, and the most popular of them are listed here:
- American Roulette – This game uses the numbers 0-36 with an additional 00. It’s typically not played much because the house edge is higher than most other variations.
- European Roulette – You’ll also see the numbers 0-36 used here without the extra green 00. This lowers the house edge, but the gameplay is the same as American roulette otherwise.
- French Roulette – This title has the same layout and gameplay as European roulette. However, certain wagers have a slightly lower house edge due to extra rules added.
- Mini Roulette – You’ll find this novelty game with the numbers 0-12 somewhat often. It looks cool with the smaller layout and more compact game board. However, the house advantage is the worst of any on this list.
Roulette is perfect for players who don’t want to have to learn to play something super complicated. However, it’s also not simple to the point of being boring either. In the main variations (single-zero games like European and French roulette), the house edge is always less than 3 percent as well. This means that you won’t have to worry about running into traps bets like you would in something like craps.
Craps is the most popular dice-based game in the entire casino industry, online or land-based. Betting on the outcome of a pair of six-sided dice comes down to a lot more than guessing the outcome. Instead, you have various stages of play with different goals based around the previous outcomes of the rolls.
This game became particularly popular in land-based casinos because of the large crowds that would surround the tables. It’s such a social game in some aspects because players often bet together in a way where they mostly all win or lose at the same time. As a result, the celebrations would get pretty intense.
In the online version, you have less of a social factor, but the excitement of the game is still there. Unfortunately, a lot of players are intimidated by this game and never really jump in to learn to play it. It can seem complicated from the outside, but as soon as you get in on the actual gameplay, it’s straightforward. If you’re the type of player who has avoided craps for this reason, then you should give it a try by learning the pass line bet and going from there.
In terms of the number of titles and variety of those titles, casino poker is probably the largest table game genre. You can find games that range from three to seven cards, games that have different degrees of strategy and games that have serious variations in terms of the way payouts are given. As such, there’s a lot to discover and enjoy for players.
The five most popular casino poker games that you’ll find online include the following, in no particular order:
- Caribbean Stud Poker – This is a simple, five-card game with a small amount of strategy. It’s one of the best casino poker games for new players to start with.
- Casino Hold’em – If you’re looking for a game with more abstract levels of strategy, this is a title to check. Virtually no one in the world can play this game perfectly because it’s based on fairly subjective betting decisions.
- Let It Ride – Known as one of the older games on this short list, Let It Ride has been around for a long time. It’s functionally a cross between casino poker and video poker, in terms of how the payouts are determined.
- Three Card Poker – This is the least strategically deep game on this list. However, it’s based on the novel three-card poker hands instead of the more typical five-card system. It’s great for people who want to sit back and relax while playing.
- Pai Gow Poker – Most betting options in casino poker games are based around calling or raising and folding. In Pai Gow Poker, it’s about arranging a set of seven cards into a five-card and two-card poker hand to compete against the dealer instead.
Each of these five games have different degrees of strategy involved. If you’re looking for a game to start with, then the degree of strategy you want is the first factor to consider. This goes for other casino poker games that are not listed here as well.
Other Table Game Titles
A number of other casino card games can be found in table game sections as well. These are usually less common titles that are a bit on the fringe, but that doesn’t make them obscure. Red Dog is one example of this, which is all about trying to choose if a card will be between two other cards in rank. Another is Casino War, which plays much like the classic card game of trying to draw a higher card than your opponent.
Most of these table games have cards involved, but some of them do not. Sic Bo is an example of a game that uses dice for a style of play that’s similar to craps. However, the betting system is more straightforward, and there are fewer trap bets to avoid.
Pai Gow Tiles is another option that uses tiles instead of cards. While it’s similar to Pai Gow Poker, it’s not a one-to-one comparison in terms of being the same game. That means it has a fair amount of strategy, but it’s not all-consuming like the strategies can be in something like blackjack.
Here are a number of other casino table games for player reference:
- Teen Patti
- Trente el Quarante
- Big Six Wheel
A lot of different table games are available that will appeal to different types of players. While they all get lumped together as the “non-slot” genre a lot of the time, there’s more variation than many people realize. In the above, we’ve broken things down to help players find something that will work for them. We also want to make sure that you have a starting point for digging deeper into the games that you’re interested in.
Which online casinos have Table Games?
Use the list of Table Games casinos to see all online casinos that have Table Games.